Just take a look at this website’s front page to see what’s in store for 2020 Golden Wes Invitational entrants and spectators. Save the date, June 5th & 6th so you don’t miss out on all the action!
There’s still time to participate!
- “Meet the Olympians” Banquet! Friday, May 31, 6pm at the Ampitheater in the El Dorado Hills Town Center.
- Olympians planning to attend include Michael Carter and his daughter Michelle Carter, Stephanie Brown Trafton, Suzy Powell, Ed Burke, and Dave Popejoy!
- Meal will include salad, entree, dessert. Entree choices are beef brisket, chicken, vegetarian.
- Tickets are $20 per person at the door.
- Michael Carter Throws Clinic (FREE to GWI throwers) and FREE Karin Smith/Channing WilsonJavelin Clinic (open to all Jav throwers) Meet Day June 1, 10 am to noon followed by a free Barbecue Lunch for all throwers at Oak Ridge HS)
Click here to read this in-depth report about Michael’s record-obliterating shot put toss at the 1979 Golden West Invitational.
Enter now at Coach O.
Along with returning sponsors Sacramento Running Association and Wells Fargo Advisors, Chic-a-fil-a, and Tutoring Rocks, the following businesses and organizations have signed up to lend their support to the 60th Annual Golden West Invitational: Golden State Throwers; Gold Country Run and Sport (supplying shoe bags for all the youth clinics‘ participants); Oak Ridge High School Foundation, and One2One Dental. Visit the sponsor page to view their logos, also with links.
If your organization is interested in becoming a sponsor for the Golden West Invitational Track & Field Meet, please contact the Meet Director, Bob Wright.
Visit this page for details about and to sign up for the following:
- NEW! Youth Clinic (Tues., Wed. Thurs., May 28-30)
- NEW! Pre-Meet Michael Carter Throws Clinic on Sat. June 1 from 11 am to 2:30 pm
- Friday, Night’s (May 31) “Meet the Olympians” Banquet
Currently the Olympians planning to attend are Michael Carter and his daughter Michelle, the the only Father/Daughter pair to have won Olympic Gold Medals (Shot Put). They also hold the overall shot put records at the Golden West Invitational. Also planning to attend are Suzy Powell, Stephanie Brown Trafton, and Ed Burke. Save the date, May 31, and watch for details about the Banquet time, location and ticket sales, as well as updates on more celebrity guests! See the promo flyer below for more information.
The 2018 Golden West Invitational was a success in every way. The entry numbers were the largest ever since the move to Oak Ridge High School, so the word is getting out that the meet is there to stay. Entrants hailed from Arizona, Colorado, North Carolina, Nevada, and from all over California. The elementary and middle school divisions were well attended and provided these youngsters the opportunity to compete is a national caliber track & field meet.
Performances of note were those of pole vaulters Laurel Wong (Salinas, CA) 13′-4″, 1st (shown below) and Alysia Allen (Reno, NV) 13′-4″, 2nd, who both achieved GWI Girls Top 10 rankings.
A tremendous group of photographs of the meets’ activities have been uploaded for your viewing pleasure.
Be sure to save the date, June 8, 2019 for the 60th Annual Golden West Invitational Track & Field Meet.